By Sarah Shaw
Grounding or Earthing is the practice of energetically and physically connecting oneself to the earth. Anything electrical is typically grounded to the earth for overall safety and stability of the connection, and this is no different for us. Being grounded applies to us because as bioelectrical beings, our bodies emit electrical frequencies, which is why grounding is essential to our maintenance of health and wellbeing. When we are properly grounded to the earth, amazing things happen to our bodies, and almost instantly we tend to notice that we are more anchored and centered, we feel stronger, and feel less tension and stress.
Current research is revealing that contact of the human body with the surface of the earth produces several effects on the body and its health. So far, the benefits of grounding that have been measured and studied include a major reduction in pain and inflammation, heightened immune responses, enhanced wound healing, improved circulation, improved sleep patterns and an overall prevention and treatment of several chronic inflammatory and autoimmune diseases.
There are numerous ways that one can ground to the earth. Essentially, it involves physically connecting with anything natural or of the earth itself, such as water, soil, sand, stones etc. There are many options out there that will enable you to ground, and all of them are effective in establishing a good connection with the Earth. The most common method used to ground is through barefoot contact with the earth. Walking on the earths soil, sand or water is a great way to connect to the earth, however this option isn’t always available to everyone or practice. Below is a detailed list of additional methods used for grounding practices.
Establishing a Connection
• Drink water. Drinking plenty of pure spring water or alkaline water allows the energy within your body more thoroughly and water is an effective electrical conductor, which means its essential in keeping energy channels running smoothly.
• Sit in sunlight. Regardless of whether you are indoors or outdoors, sitting in sunlight can boost your connection to the earth.
• Touch gemstones. Kyanite, hematite, garnet and smoky quartz are all good choices for grounding crystals, but any will do, especially those associated with the root/base chakra or the earth chakra.
• Engage in physical activity/exercise. Being in the moment and staying present in your body is an excellent way to grounding because it allows for a more continuous and uninhibited flow of energy throughout the body. Yoga, Pilates or Martial Arts can be very effective in this regard because they tend to center the energies of your mind, body, and spirit.
• Eat a plant based diet. Foods that are closely linked to nature and more specifically root vegetables (beets, potatoes, etc.) which grow under the soil are a great way to ground yourself because they carry potent earth energy.
• Take a salt bath. Salts and water have natural healing capabilities, therefore combining the two makes for an excellent way to connect to the earth.
• Visualize connecting with the earth. One common practice involves visualizing yourself growing roots from your feet that extend deep down into the earths soil. This exercise can establish a connection with the earth while also aiding in meditative practices.
• Purchase or create grounding objects. The use of grounding mats and grounding chairs can help you to maintain a connection with the earth and allow you to stay grounded throughout the entire day, especially if going outdoors into nature is not an option. Additionally, you can also run a wire from your favorite or most used area, out through the window and into the ground, this will enable you to maintain a connection to the earth that is fairly easy to create and inexpensive.
Grounding in general is an excellent way to connect with nature and promote lasting health and wellness for mind, body and spirit, and with more and more evidence stating the physical benefits of grounding, there is no reason not to give it a try and see if you can spot the differences within yourself. Regardless of which method you choose, remember to do what resonates most with you and have fun with the process of connecting with mother nature and taking better care of yourself in the process.